5 Green Holiday Tips
Food Shed Coop fans share their favorite earth-friendly holiday traditions.
- Set a waste-free table: Use cloth napkins and get out the good china. Compost cooking scraps.
- Serve local food: Farmers markets have moved indoors and offer a great selection. Insider tip: R Family Farm in Poplar Grove sells local turkeys! See our Guide to Winter Markets.
- Send e-cards: Online invitations and greeting cards save time, money and paper.
- Wrap wisely: Wrap gifts with reusable packing such as fabric, multi-use bags – or get creative with newspaper. Get inspired here.
- Shop local: Look for gifts without batteries. Give experiences that create memories instead of waste. Shop small business. See our Holiday Gift Guide and Green Living Guide for ideas.
The Food Shed Co-op’s 553 members (and growing) are working to build a local food cooperative in McHenry County that promotes a healthy, ethical and resilient community.