Make Local History
7 ways to ‘make history’ in McHenry County.
The McHenry County Historical Society and Museum is seeking awesome volunteers to fill the following roles:
- Events Guru: Enjoy planning and attending great parties? Why not do it for historical society members and volunteers throughout the year? Most of the work can be done from the comfort of your own home.
- A Pioneering Spirit: One of the unique features of the museum in Union is the 1843 Gannon log cabin. People are needed to portray life as an early settler of McHenry County in the 1840s. Work special events like Heritage Fair and Cider Fest, and occasional school tours during spring and fall. All the information, training and costumes will be provided.
- Office Whiz: General office help like data processing, mailings and answering phones are needed at the museum, particularly taking registration information for the Antique Appraisal Day (February 25, 2017).
- Drive the Bus: People with a Class C license and ability to operate a manual transmission are needed to drive “The James,” a mobile local history museum. The bus brings exhibits of local interest to the public at libraries, community events and schools. Most of the 10 to 15 annual events are on weekends during the warmer months.
- Sell! Sell! Sell! Familiar with online or retail sales? Enjoy working with and researching vintage or antique items? You could be the next merchandising and marketing volunteer.
- Get Published: Research and write articles to be featured in local publications (like McHenry County Living)! The historical society has numerous topics waiting to be researched and is open to suggestions from prospective writers.
- Tidy Up: Help protect our county’s history by sweeping, mopping and dusting exhibit spaces and collection storage areas. All supplies and equipment will be provided to museum cleaners.
Get started now! Fill out the volunteer form here. For more information, call 815.923.2267.