Best Ice Cream
Top 5 Ice Cream Shops, ranked.
1. Julie Ann’s, Crystal Lake, est. 1988
- Known for: Fresh, creative frozen custard flavors and other desserts. Check out the Flavor of the Day calendar here.
- Summer hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Thursday and Sunday; 11 a.m.-11 p.m., Friday and Saturday. Phone: 815.459.9117.
- What people are saying: “Love all the special flavors … love the smiles and energy.” –Bonnie B., Crystal Lake
2. The Freeze, Crystal Lake, est. 1948
- Known for: Soft-serve ice cream and “World-Famous Cheese Fries.”
- Summer hours: 11 a.m.-9 p.m., Monday-Friday; 11 a.m.-1o p.m., Saturday-Sunday. Phone: 815.459.1167.
- What people are saying: “A delightful stop for a refreshing bit of ice cream. No frills, lots of chills. A throwback to better times.” –Pam D., Chicago
3. Kaleidoscoops, Crystal Lake, est. 2001
- Known for: 32 flavors of premium ice cream.
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-10:30 p.m., Friday; 10 a.m.-10:30 p.m., Saturday; 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Sunday. Phone: 815-788-0027.
- What people are saying: “Lots of fun and creative cones dipped in everything imaginable!” –Emily G., Diamond Bar, Calif.
4. The Huntley Dairy Mart, est. 1955
- Known for: Hand-dipped soft-serve ice cream, burgers, etc.
- Hours: 9 a.m.-9 p.m., Monday-Thursday and Sunday; 9 a.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday. Phone: 847-669-5737.
- What people are saying: “Extensive menu … awesome ice cream, always a treat.” –Bill E., Chicago
5. Happy Jack’s, McHenry, 1977
- Known for: Fine ice cream, subs, etc.
- Summer hours: 10:30 a.m.-10 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 10:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m., Friday-Saturday.
- What people are saying: “A lot of nostalgia in this place with the Coca-Cola theme. Huge selection of ice cream flavors – and so, so good!” –A.C., Milwaukee
Details are subject to change at any time – always call ahead!
Cast your vote in next month’s food poll by subscribing to our Facebook Events Page.