Best Sandwich Shops
Epic Deli was voted No. 1 sandwich shop in McHenry County. Pictured: The Deadpool Changa: Buffalo chicken, bacon, pepper jack cheese and ghost pepper ranch served in a wrap battered and crusted in Flamin’ Hot Cheetos and deep fried. © J Nanez Photography
Top 5 sandwich shops, ranked.
1. Epic Deli, McHenry, est. 2014
- Why it’s the best: “We have the greatest and most loyal fan base. We try to bring a completely unique experience and we are so grateful that so many people love what we do.”
- Customer favorite: The Viking Quest (turkey, pastrami, salami, bacon, ham, pepperoni, roast beef, pepper jack, provolone, cheddar, banana peppers and ghost pepper ranch); and The Epic Reuben (more than a half pound of steamed corned beef on rye topped with a choice of spiced mustard, yellow mustard, or Thousand Island or Russian dressing, and sauerkraut or coleslaw.
2. Flatlander Market, downtown Marengo, est. 2004
- Why it’s one of the best: “We have weekly sandwich specials, homemade chili served year-round and daily soups, plus loyal customers, great service and family atmosphere.”
- Customer favorite: Hands down, the chicken pesto sandwich, and make sure to grab some of Sally’s homemade cookies for dessert or on the way out.
3. Butcher on the Block, Lake in the Hills, est. 2000
- Why it’s one of the best: “The sandwiches start with a quarter pound of meat, and after they are built, they average around three quarters of a pound or more. On average, there are six sandwich specials that are made on a daily basis.”
- Customer favorite: The famous cooked pot roast with mozzarella cheese and bell peppers. One napkin is simply not enough for this sandwich!
4. Algonquin Sub Shop, est. 1993
- Why it’s one of the best: “We have a relaxing environment to dine in and enjoy everything from subs to homemade soups to the ‘Big A.S.S.’ deserts!”
- Customer favorite: The Al Capone that includes Italian capicola, salami, pepperoni, mortadella, provolone and olive toasted on their fresh baked bread.
5. Bubs Subs, Algonquin, est. 2011
- Why it’s one of the best: “We offer the freshest items from the produce to the homemade sauces, and bake real Italian bread all day long. We buy the best available of what we don’t make in-house.”
- Customer favorite: The homemade Italian beef from scratch with hot giardiniera.
Details are subject to change at any time – always call ahead!