The Big Give
by MCL Staff in Organizations
Find charitable organizations close to your heart and give.
Arts & Education
- Culture, Arts & Music – Mission: Inspiring individuals to discover diversity through culture, arts and music. Contact: 815.245.3624.
- Friends of MCC Foundation – Mission: Building financial support to strengthen and enrich McHenry county college. Contact: 815.455.8721.
- Friends of the Opera House – Mission: to offer a variety of cultural events at the Woodstock opera House, provide for the financial stability of the opera house and more. Contact: 815.338.4212.
- Guitars for Future Stars – Mission: Working to supply free guitars and guitar lessons to children, ages 10-17, from lower-income McHenry County families.
- Lakeside Arts Park at the Dole – Mission: Providing an innovative arts, education and community destination that enriches the quality of life for those they serve.
- McHenry County Community Foundation – Mission: Accepting donor-directed funds and unrestricted endowments to grant seed or expansion money for unmet social, cultural, educational and charitable needs throughout McHenry county. Contact: 815.338.4483.
- McHenry County Historical Society – Mission: Providing the methods and means of presenting McHenry County history to enrich life. Contact: 815.923.2267.
- McHenry County Music Center – Mission: to provide financial assistance to children up to the age of high school seniors, enabling them to participate in the musical education and performance opportunities offered by the McHenry County Music Center and Music Academy through private music lessons, youth orchestra and chamber ensembles. Contact: 815.356.6296.
- Midwest Mozart Fest– Mission: Bringing world-class musicians who present classical music performances of the highest caliber, with a particular focus on works of the great Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Contact: 779.475.3726.
- Raue Center For The Arts – Mission: Enriching the lives of all through the arts.
- Woodstock Fine Arts Association – Mission: To promote the arts and the Woodstock Opera House. Contact: email@example.com.
Health & Wellness
- Albums of Hope – Mission: Providing pocket-sized albums to those who need a lift during difficult times. Contact: 815.363.3624.
- Alexander Leigh Center for Autism – Mission: Helping children with autism and those that love them to thrive. Contact: 815.477.2522.
- Adult & Child Therapy Services for McHenry County – Mission: to provide the highest level of service to the physically challenged and disabled of every age, bringing hope and creating confidence to realize individual maximum levels of independence. Contact: 815.338.1707.
- Bowing for Change – Mission: To spread compassion throughout the Mchenry County area and beyond through service, strategic donations, and advocacy.
- Cancer Kiss My Cooley – Mission: To create special moments and lasting memories for families living with pediatric brain tumors through our Kiss of HOPE program. Contact: 847.659.8166.
- Characters of Character – Mission: To establish a firm foundation in which children develop strong civic values. Contact: 815.403.0217.
- Family Health Partnership Clinic – Mission: to provide quality health care to the uninsured and underinsured residents of McHenry county. Contact: 779.220.9304.
- Food Shed Co-Op – Mission: To build a local food cooperative promoting a healthy, ethical and resilient community. Contact: 815.315.1541.
- Gavers Community Cancer Foundation – Mission: 100 percent of the proceeds go to cancer programs. Contact: 815.338.8844.
- GiGi’s Playhouse McHenry – Mission: Gigi’s Playhouses are Down syndrome awareness and educational centers that provide resources, specialized teaching and support to individuals with Down syndrome, their families and the community. Contact: 815.385.7529.
- Horizons for the Blind – Mission: to improve the quality of life for people who are blind or visually impaired by increasing accessibility to consumer products and services, education, recreation and the cultural arts. Contact: 815.444.8800.
- Main Stay Therapeutic Riding Program – Mission: to provide equine-related therapy to people with physical, emotional, developmental and social challenges. Contact: 815.653.9374.
- McHenry County Adult Program – Mission: To provide a meaningful learning experience that will enrich and expand the lives of young adults with severe and profound disabilities. Contact: 815.207.5617.
- Midwest Center for Children’s Development – Mission: Providing programs and services to benefit the whole family in a friendly farm environment. Contact: 815.788.1020.
- Northern Illinois Center for Autism – Mission: to integrate community and loved ones through education, awareness and medical interventions. Contact: 847.658.5607.
- Northern Illinois Special Recreation Association (NISRA) – Mission: Enriching the lives of people with disabilities through meaningful recreation experiences. Contact: 815.459.0737.
- Options & Advocacy for McHenry County – Mission: to enhance and protect the lives of children and adults with disabilities. Contact: 815.477.4720.
- Pioneer Center for Human Services – Mission: Helping people live a dignified life of well-being, independence and inclusion. Contact: 815.344.1230
- Sage YMCA – Mission: An inclusive, charitable organization founded on Christian principles and dedicated to building strong kids, strong families and strong communities through programs that develop spirit, mind and body. Contact: 815.459.4455.
- United Way of McHenry County – Mission: Enhancing the quality of life for those in need by facilitating access to resources. Contact: 815.363.1377.
- Family Alliance – Mission: to enable seniors to remain at home by providing best-of-practice day programming, advocacy and counseling, while supplying respite, education, training and support to their caregivers. Contact: 815.338.3590.
- Gable Point Senior Housing, Lutheran Social Services of Illinois – Mission: Providing affordable housing to persons age 62 or older. Contact: 815.459.4538.
- Hearthstone Communities – Mission: to offer hope, healing and purposeful living to older adults and children in the context of christian communities. Contact: 815.338.2110.
- JourneyCare – Mission: to enhance life by providing dignified, compassionate care and guidance to those coping with loss and the end of life. Contact: 847.381.5599.
- Senior Care Volunteer Network – Mission: to assist seniors and their families in maintaining their independence, dignity and quality of life. Contact: 815.455.3120.
- Senior Services Associates Inc. – Mission: Dedicated to sustaining and improving the quality of life for mature adults by providing access to the social services they need. Contact: 815.344.3555.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of McHenry County – Mission: to help children realize their potential and build their futures, nurture children and strengthen communities. Contact: 815.385.3855.
- Chattergirls – Mission: Assisting young girls in developing life skills for becoming confident, strong young women. Contact: 815.404.8343.
- Collier House – Mission: named after the late Army Spc. Collier E. Barcus, of McHenry, collier House provides a safe, comfortable home, free of charge, where families can heal from the trauma and stress in their lives upon a ridge overlooking the beautiful Fork river near Mount carmel youth ranch in cody, Wyo. Contact: 815.385.4881.
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of McHenry County – Mission: to help children find safe, permanent homes where they can thrive. Contact: 815.363.5920.
- Girls on the Run of Northwest Illinois – Mission: To inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Contact: 815.893.0259.
- Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois – Mission: inspiring girls to give back through service to make the world a better place. Contact: 847.741.5521.
- Habitat for Humanity of McHenry County – Mission: To build simple, decent and affordable houses for low-income families in McHenry county. Contact: 815.759.9002.
- Home of the Sparrow – Mission: Providing hope, opportunity and support that empowers women and children as they journey from homelessness to self-sufficiency. Contact: 815.271.5444.
- It’s All About Kids – Mission: To help children with cancer and their families. Contact: 815.482.1985.
- Jail Brakers – Mission: to raise awareness about the needs and concerns of the children and families who have been affected by incarceration. Jail Brakers will provide opportunities that will give these children and families a voice and a place to be listened to with respect and compassion. Contact: 224.422.7431.
- Mothers & More McHenry County – Mission: To provide programming and national community for moms through all stages, phases and transitions of motherhood.
- Rahab’s Daughters – Mission: Survivor-led organization that rescues and rehabilitates human trafficking victims. Contact: 224.333.0911.
- Turning Point – Mission: to confront violence against women and children in McHenry county. Contact: 815.338.8081.
- Tri-County Pregnancy & Parenting Services – Mission: to provide women and men with up-to-date information in order to make informed choices about pregnancy, sexual health and relationships. Contact: 815.455.0965.
- Environmental Defenders of McHenry County – Mission: To preserve and improve the environment and to build sound ecological relationships between people and the natural world that support all life. Contact: 815.338.0393.
- Imagine McHenry County – Mission: establish, promote and maintain an ongoing grass roots process of planning for quality growth in McHenry County.
- McHenry County Conservation District –Mission: to preserve, restore, and manage natural areas and open spaces for their intrinsic value and for the benefits to present and future generations. Contact: 815.338.6223.
- The Land Conservancy of McHenry County – Mission: To preserve scenic, natural and agricultural resources in McHenry County by working with private landowners, communities and developers. Contact: 815.337.9502.
Pets & Animals
- Animal House Shelter – Mission: No-kill animal shelter for all breeds of dogs and cats. Contact: 847.961.5541.
- Animal Outreach Humane Society of McHenry County – Mission: to help McHenry county become a community where no adoptable or treatable animal or healthy feral cat is euthanized. Contact: 815.385.0005.
- Assisi Animal Foundation – Mission: Providing shelter and care, and when appropriate, re-homing suitable animals to caring, permanent homes. Contact: 815.455.9411.
- Hooved Animal Humane Society – Mission: to promote the humane treatment of hooved animals through education, legislation, investigation and, if necessary, legal intervention (impoundment). Contact: 815.337.5563.
- Helping Paws – Mission: to improve the quality of life for the homeless, needy animals of the community through a number of services. Contact: 815.338.4400.
- On Angels’ Wings – Mission: Passionately dedicated to the rescue, vetting and re-homing of orphaned pets and animal-centered educational programs. Contact: 224.688.9739.
- A Warrior’s Mind – Mission: To bring veterans and civilians together in their community. Contact: 224.858-3556.
- Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services – Mission: Helping military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges before, during and after deployments. Contact: 847.377.VET6.
- TLS Veterans Center – Mission: Helping homeless veterans who want a chance to rebuild their lives. A mobile food pantry for vets and their families will be held November 18 and December 16, 2015, 5300 W. Elm St., McHenry. Contact: 815.322.2620.
- Veterans Assistance Commission – Mission: Providing services to the local veterans community in the areas of financial assistance, VA claims and advocacy, transportation to the North Chicago VA Medical Center and referrals assistance. Contact: 815.334-4229.
- Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Interfaith Food Pantry, 847.854.1904.
- Cary-Grove Food Pantry, 847.516.3602.
- Crystal Lake Food Pantry, 815.455.0961.
- FISH of McHenry, 815.344.4717.
- Grafton Food Pantry (Huntley), 847.495.0922.
- Harvard Food Pantry, 815.943.4909.
- Hebron Community Food Pantry, 815.648.2320.
- Loaves & Fishes Ministry (Crystal Lake), 815.459.5907.
- Marengo Area Outreach Enterprises (MORE), 815.568.7950.
- Richmond/Spring Grove Community Pantry, 815.678.4351.
- TLS Veterans Food Distribution, 815.322.2620.
- Woodstock Food Pantry, 815.337.0375.