- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper powder
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth (can add more if you prefer a thinner chili)
- 1 cup cooked red kidney beans
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup zucchini, cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium to large soup pot, add the ground turkey, 1 tablespoon coconut oil, half of the chopped onion, half of the chopped garlic, ground cumin, dried oregano, cayenne pepper powder and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until turkey is browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes and beans.
- Stir and reduce heat to medium-low.While above ingredients are cooking, melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet and add the rest of the chopped onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper and zucchini.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes or until onions are transparent. Add to the large pot and simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve with corn bread (recipe below).
Whole-Grain Corn Bread
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal, preferably whole-grain
- 3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour (can substitute all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 can cream style corn
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 3 tbsp. honey or sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Pulse corn and egg in a food processor or blender until almost smooth.
- Add milk, oil and honey (or sugar); pulse until combined.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the cornbread until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Stucky's Bar & Grille, North Johnsburg Road, Johnsburg, IL, United States