5 Sweet February Holidays
February is the season of reasons to eat your sweets.
Top 5 February holidays to satisfy your sweet tooth – plus where to get your fix …
1. Groundhog Day, February 2 – Move over Punxsutawney, Pa., Woodstock is the new center for Groundhog Day with more than a week’s worth of festivities known as Groundhog Days. Celebrate with “Woodstock Willie” cookies from Swiss Maid Bakery or Jaci’s Cookies, or get a groundhog-shaped chocolate from Ethereal Confections – all located on the Woodstock Square!
2. Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday, February 9 –
- This is the last day of the New Orleans carnival season and the day before Lent. Party like a real Louisianian with a traditional king cake from the Flour Shoppe Bakery & Confections in Cary.
- It’s also Pączki Day, a holiday celebrated in Polish communities, also in observance of Lent’s arrival. Pronounced “pawnch-ki,” you can pick up these heavenly filled doughnuts from Konrad’s Bakery in Lake in the Hills. Place your orders early!
3. Valentine’s Day, February 14 – This celebration of love dates back to ancient Rome. In the United States, about 190 million Valentine’s Day cards are sent each year, not including the hundreds of millions of cards school children exchange. Find an array of Valentine’s treats for your sweetheart, including these delicate macarons, at SweetPea Cake & Cupcake Boutique in downtown Crystal Lake. For the chocolate lovers, we have seven unique ideas here.
4. National Chocolate Mint Day, February 19 – Like we need an excuse to indulge in cool, melt-in-your-mouth chocolates! Get a box of Mint Silks at Morkes Chocolates in Huntley.
5. Cherry Pie Day, February 20 – Cue the ’90s glam metal song … or not. You simply cannot go wrong with a slice of cherry pie from Around the Clock Restaurant & Bakery in Crystal Lake.
Cover photo: Niche Creative for SweetPea