McHenry County celebrates the strawberry harvest every June and we’re lucky to have farms that offer u-pick berries, as well as farmers that bring the fruit to our summer farmers markets. The problem I always have when we go picking is there are more berries than I know what to do with. So I’m sharing some easy and delicious ways to use them up:
- Make a cheesecake … Chef Debi Stuckwisch of Johnsburg has a delicious recipe here.
- Preserve ’em … Amanda and our friends at Preservation School in Woodstock will teach you here.
- Dip ’em … Chocolate + strawberries are a match made in heaven. Here is the method. Feeling lazy? Riverside Chocolate Factory in McHenry is famous for fresh chocolate-covered strawberries if you ever have a craving and are too lazy to make them yourself. Watch the magic happen here.
- Cool off … Smoothies easy and refreshing! Find 10 strawberry smoothie recipes here.
- Go old school … Who doesn’t have fond childhood memories eating strawberry shortcake in the summer? Kick it up a notch by making your own whipped cream (the method is SUPER easy and it’s noticeably better than store-bought) and either bake fresh shortcake or buy from your neighborhood bakery or local farmers market.